My dream gap year (if I took one) and the Top 10 places I’d visit armed with a sketchbook (in no particular order):
1. Taktsang Monastery, Bhutan – Aside from the problem that I might not get a visa because of the country’s strict policy of limiting tourism, it would be incredible to visit this place. I’m also pretty prone to altitude sickness so at the dizzying height of 10,200ft I’d probably need some kind of medication to visit ‘The Tiger’s Nest’.
2. Riomaggiore, Italy – colour and chaos. I would need some colouring pens for this one for sure.
3. Ta Prohm, Cambodia – The tree growing on it is just the USP, the rest of the temple is mind-bogglingly stunning too.
4. Calcutta Jain Temple, India – while I’m there I’d visit the Taj Mahal too…
5. Bangkok, Thailand – This city seems like an amazing place to visit that’s rich in colour and culture… There are so many hidden gems here that I couldn’t pick one out, so here are some tuk-tuks instead!
6. Easter Island, Chile – These guys are just awesome, why wouldn’t I want to visit them?
7. Blue Mosque at Mazar e Sharif, Northern Afghanistan – I know I’d have to miraculously become a man and convert to see all of it but I think I’d be pretty happy even if I just got to see the outside!
8. Kjeray, Rogaland, Norway – Just because I really want to stand on this rock!
9. Amsterdam, the Netherlands – Why not?
10. Giant Buddha, Leshan, China – This is said to be the world’s largest pre-modern statue!
Credit to the following whose photos are beautiful: Taktsang Monastery, Bhutan, Riomaggiore, Italy, Ta Prohm, Cambodia, Jain Temple, India, Tuk-tuks, Bangkok, Easter Island, Chile, Blue Mosque, Afghanistan, Kjeragbolten, Norway, Boats, Amsterdam, Giant Buddha, Leshan.